Skip to main content

wedding wednesday: a look into a laotian wedding ceremony


I have been showing alot of American style wedding photos. Today I wanted to switch gears and show a Lao traditional wedding (baci wedding). I've posted pics on the blog before, however this post is a lot more in depth. Souwan and I will have a traditional Lao wedding as well as an American wedding. Lao weddings take place in the morning or in the evening (sun down). Ours will be in the morning, later in the afternoon is our American wedding.

To learn more about lao ceremony visit http://www.laos-guide-999.com/Laos-wedding.html
To see more of a lao wedding visit http://joshjonesphoto.blogspot.com/2010/10/traditional-laos-wedding-photos-vanida.html

photo source source source source
666fbcd66c294c86aeae358c46e4fe56 dcd2b0bd3a815e415cc2f50caf20852c f5b4c1dc03a1ffec87dd9937021939de aa6a82423114155b19ca0e2121e1908c

It takes place at the home of the bride's family. The groom's procession (Hae keuy) will be the beginning of the wedding day. The family of the groom walks him to the bride's home and sings/asks questions to the bride's family. A fun exchange before entering the bride's family home.

664047c51647691526d4b2d5dc5bf24b

Everyone gathers around the baci trees, the two baci's decorated with flowers pictured below ( pha kuan). The ceremony starts with chanting, prayers, the couple feeding eachother, and gifts.

6395a3349a52db345613054ab22fb74b
03983ac5bb2a601771f4ee98197050ce

The end friends and family members tie strings, blessing and good wishes string, on the couples' wrists (usually with money).

166948febfb1a465f10af4cb9d8f1fe8
9b9f1dc1183b9df79e7fe48da1ba8822

At the lao reception the couple will give guests a small amount of hennesey in exchange for monies also known as sinh (last photo)

joshjonesphoto.blogspot.comtwo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

haylee marie at eight months

Did you see her newest accessory? Her new earrings are too cute and super stylish!!! Our baby girl is 8 months old! We didn't visit our doctor this month but she unofficially weighs 16 lbs. She is a healthy baby girl! She still has two teeth. She loves and is learning new things: check back other posts for other loves and dislikes from past months. She loves: feed herself follow our voices stand with the assistances playing peekaboo Peaches Baked ziti Chicken Alfredo Apples Broccoli Carrots Avocados Yogurt Mac & Cheese Playing the piano the swing at the park playing with chip bags & baby wipe packages board books/library She is learning : pull up to standing position from sitting painting playing outdoors feeling & picking up objects/toys walk holding on to furniture  She hates: naps her multi-vitamin car seat  getting dressed up  getting pictures taken being by her...

outfit of the day: casual denim shorts and sperry's

what i wore: cynthia rowley tee, american eagle shorts, thrifted belt, juicy couture bracelet, belk's charm bracelet, old navy aviator shades, sperry's top-sider boat shoes. I wore this out for a few errands with the fiance. My car battery needed replacing, I have worn that thing out. Ex. leaving it on while taking naps during lunch. Don't do this ladies. Ha! This look is so comfy and definitely a repeat when I'm running around town.

friday favorites

Hi All, I hope you all had a lovely week. My plans are to sit on this couch and watch The Dictator and Three Stooges this weekend. I'm already laughing! Happy weekend! Favorite Inspiration:   Favorite Look: I adore her cap toe flats and her striped shirt. The guys look pretty handsome too!   Favorite Recipe: I saw this on Pioneer Woman's show on Food Network. It looked so good! Go here for her recipe = pioneer woman Favorite Craft idea: Plaited bracelets. These look fun and stylish! Go here to see how to make them: click here . photo credits: tumblr and pinterest. Links also provided to original blogs.