Skip to main content

My 5 easy tips for Food Photography

Hi ya'll! I'm Lisa and (in case you didn't know). I'm the owner and photographer of Davong Marie Photography. I've been behind the camera lens since I was a kid and have a passion for all photography. Some is self taught, my aunt and the other is the couple of years of education from my coach KJ! My favorite to photograph is weddings and families however today I want to share my tips for photographing food. These are totally just my tips and not at all how you must do it. Photography is fun, artistic and expressive of who you are. There are so many styles and perspectives. Here are my 5 tips to photographing food:

1. Choose colors that work well together! Think about the color wheel or how you match your clothes. There are so many colors that pair well, my favorite is green and pink!

2. Try different angles. Think about how you see the subject or maybe how a bird sees your subject. My favorite angle to take of food is from the top! If you have something like a cake try taking it from the side to show off the layers and give it definition.

3. Use garnish. My favorite color is green, so I love seeing a green piece of garnish on top of a dish. For me, it's like seeing a cherry on top of ice cream! Ok stop. Maybe not the same feeling, because ice cream seems like the better option here! HAHA! You get the idea.

4. Keep it simple. Focus on the dish and make sure you don't have a mixture of other dishes (unless you mean to show all of it). The important dish could get lost in the sea of other ones.

5. Remove dirty napkins and silverware! Sometimes we forget the little details, but leaving it in the photo can distract from the beautiful dish you made!


I hope this was helpful and you enjoyed my tips! If you liked this post and want me to do more, let me know! Leave a comment, like the post and share it!!


Ok I didn't have any dishes prepared so I used these beautiful apples from the grocery store i just bought for examples. Maybe next time I will have a pie or something!
20180304-DMP_4167 20180304-DMP_4170 20180304-DMP_4168 20180304-DMP_4171 20180304-DMP_4164

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

outfit of the day: casual denim shorts and sperry's

what i wore: cynthia rowley tee, american eagle shorts, thrifted belt, juicy couture bracelet, belk's charm bracelet, old navy aviator shades, sperry's top-sider boat shoes. I wore this out for a few errands with the fiance. My car battery needed replacing, I have worn that thing out. Ex. leaving it on while taking naps during lunch. Don't do this ladies. Ha! This look is so comfy and definitely a repeat when I'm running around town.

outfit of the day: outdoor fall look

    what i wore: gap long sleeve top, target jeggings and boots, belk's bag   I wore this to my cousin's birthday party. It was a lovely fall day, sunny and perfect cool weather for a game of corn hole. We also had lunch and drinks out on their patio. This outfit was great for the outdoor activities and a birthday gathering.     Thank you for reading. Have a lovely rest of the week! 

outfit of the day: classic vest

  what i wore: express button up, old navy vest, f21 jeans, gift boots.   Classic pieces stay for a lifetime. I have had this vest for a long time. Traditional yet in style. Not popular, but likable. A little bit of old fashion and tradition may not be popular, may go back "50 years" but this vest seems to never fade out of style for me.