Skip to main content

Songkran @ Wat Prazanimit

The next couple of weekends Thai & Laotions around the world will be celebrating (Songkran) New Year 2012 (Pee Mai=New Year). Wat Prazanimit in North Carolina celebrated this weekend among others. Our family will be going to a couple of temples to celebrate.



 
 Almsgiving had good attendance this year. (Even a majority of my family were able to be in attendance-rare sight. Cheers to that!) The temple was packed-with people even sitting outside. It was a warm day too. 

(click photos for larger size)





After almsgiving (begins early in the morning and ends in the afternoon) we head to the outside grounds to celebrate. My favorite part of New Year! There is food, pageant/parade for the New Year, and traditional dancing/music. BTW I reunited with my traditional lao dance teacher!! We became so nostalgic. She was THE BEST teacher.

With the pageant also brought back memories. Wayyy back in the old days- haha. I was runner up in 2002. A very honorable part in the New Year is to be one of the seven & even be crowned. The seven girls represent the seven daughters the past king had. The King died, but the girls would continue to take care of his resting place. (Story told by my mother)




I'm so proud of you girls! Like I said -You are still winners in our book!

Traditional dancers collected monies for the temple.


Lodh nom songk. Pouring water (with thai fragrance) is believed to bring good luck and prosperity for the New Year. My family gathered together for this.






SOK DEE PEE MAI! (Goodluck in the New Year)

Next week- more celebrations at another temple! Hope to get some water/and foam fights! (It's ok, playful fights)

Comments

  1. Nice blog, you should do it every events at the temple. More recent photos please, yesterday was Boun-ka-tin. Check youtube video under this title "Boun-ka-tin"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

outfit of the day: casual denim shorts and sperry's

what i wore: cynthia rowley tee, american eagle shorts, thrifted belt, juicy couture bracelet, belk's charm bracelet, old navy aviator shades, sperry's top-sider boat shoes. I wore this out for a few errands with the fiance. My car battery needed replacing, I have worn that thing out. Ex. leaving it on while taking naps during lunch. Don't do this ladies. Ha! This look is so comfy and definitely a repeat when I'm running around town.

haylee marie at eight months

Did you see her newest accessory? Her new earrings are too cute and super stylish!!! Our baby girl is 8 months old! We didn't visit our doctor this month but she unofficially weighs 16 lbs. She is a healthy baby girl! She still has two teeth. She loves and is learning new things: check back other posts for other loves and dislikes from past months. She loves: feed herself follow our voices stand with the assistances playing peekaboo Peaches Baked ziti Chicken Alfredo Apples Broccoli Carrots Avocados Yogurt Mac & Cheese Playing the piano the swing at the park playing with chip bags & baby wipe packages board books/library She is learning : pull up to standing position from sitting painting playing outdoors feeling & picking up objects/toys walk holding on to furniture  She hates: naps her multi-vitamin car seat  getting dressed up  getting pictures taken being by her...

friday favorites

Hi All, I hope you all had a lovely week. My plans are to sit on this couch and watch The Dictator and Three Stooges this weekend. I'm already laughing! Happy weekend! Favorite Inspiration:   Favorite Look: I adore her cap toe flats and her striped shirt. The guys look pretty handsome too!   Favorite Recipe: I saw this on Pioneer Woman's show on Food Network. It looked so good! Go here for her recipe = pioneer woman Favorite Craft idea: Plaited bracelets. These look fun and stylish! Go here to see how to make them: click here . photo credits: tumblr and pinterest. Links also provided to original blogs.