Skip to main content

wedding wednesday: confessions of a DIY bride

I never thought about being a DIY bride. I noticed after I got engaged how money was tight. Souwan and I didn't want to spend our savings and 401k all on a wedding. My parents and his chipped in a little, the rest was up to us. I should have started saving when I was a kid! I had never thought about linens, flatware, catering, and alcohol for a wedding.

I was concerned with envisioning everything together. "Will it look tacky or will it be everything I thought it to be?" I feel like it will be a chaotic day. We are on a time crunch and I have little time to help setup. It concerns me how everything will turn out. Not knowing and having the nightmare of "what could be" is overwhelming and stressful. I have never help plan or plan any sort of party to this magnitude. I first thought it to be easy, but proved myself wrong.

I have learned to be creative. If you like something you see, but can't afford it, be creative and try to re-create the look. My signs, vases, and ribbon wands are my pride and joy. Attack the fear of the unknown. Not knowing how anything will turn out can stop you from imagining greatness. Also do your research, compare prices. Sometimes it's not always cheaper to do it yourself.

After researching, I realized (reality kicked my butt) I would have to do a lot for myself. All hands on. I would get more for less. I made a list of everything I could make on my own. My mom said she would be my caterer, that's great! Average wedding cost for food is $4000. Plus her food is amazing! I have been lending a hand prepping the food with her. I have learned a lot!

The save the dates, bridal shower invites and wedding invitations were all done by me and my helpers (Fiance and Best Friend). We had a blast working together.
image

Pinterest is addictive. (pinning your favorite things) I started pinning everything on my wedding board. I thought I could never have these things. I was determined and got creative. I wanted a chair cover for my fiance and I at the wedding reception, like the picture below (1st photo). Instead of spending more money, I went out to the craft store and came up with a similar/cheaper version. I can't wait to show ya, but after the wedding. Ha!

973ba21c1e0b2ec88b9290205da1545b
(photo: pinterest)

image

Flowers/florists average cost is $750. I decided to get my own flowers and shop for inexpensive vases. I found some for a $1! With some paint, it appears more luxurious.

DSC_0273
DSC_0276

I saw these ribbon wands in a magazine. They were expensive for how much I wanted to purchase. Instead I went to the craft store and bought all the supplies; got out my glue gun and went to work! My maid of honor chipped in and it turned out very nice! They are also fun to play with.

DSC_0258 DSC_0260 image DSC_0265

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

outfit of the day: casual denim shorts and sperry's

what i wore: cynthia rowley tee, american eagle shorts, thrifted belt, juicy couture bracelet, belk's charm bracelet, old navy aviator shades, sperry's top-sider boat shoes. I wore this out for a few errands with the fiance. My car battery needed replacing, I have worn that thing out. Ex. leaving it on while taking naps during lunch. Don't do this ladies. Ha! This look is so comfy and definitely a repeat when I'm running around town.

outfit of the day: classic vest

  what i wore: express button up, old navy vest, f21 jeans, gift boots.   Classic pieces stay for a lifetime. I have had this vest for a long time. Traditional yet in style. Not popular, but likable. A little bit of old fashion and tradition may not be popular, may go back "50 years" but this vest seems to never fade out of style for me.    

outfit of the day: outdoor fall look

    what i wore: gap long sleeve top, target jeggings and boots, belk's bag   I wore this to my cousin's birthday party. It was a lovely fall day, sunny and perfect cool weather for a game of corn hole. We also had lunch and drinks out on their patio. This outfit was great for the outdoor activities and a birthday gathering.     Thank you for reading. Have a lovely rest of the week!